Thank you for serving the least of these in Jesus name!
Below are some specific opportunities we have to serve refugees this week. If you can help with any of these needs, please contact Almaz (291-5282 or firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
Here are some specific opportunities for the week of August 20 (see ongoing needs at end):
- A couple needs to apply for food stamps at 2700 Middlebrook Pike. If interested, please let Almaz know what date and time works best.
Monday, August 21:
- An elderly man has a behavioral health appointment at 9:45 a.m. at Cherokee Health Systems, 2018 Western Avenue. He will need to be picked up at 9:15 a.m.
Wednesday, August 23:
- Two kids have appointments at 8:00 a.m. at Cherokee Health Systems, 2018 Western Avenue. Their mother and probably their youngest brother will need to go as well. They will need to be picked up at 7:30 a.m.
Thursday, August 24:
- A man has an 8:30 a.m. appointment at the TB clinic at 140 Dameron Avenue. He will need to be picked up at 8:00 a.m.
Please reply to this email to let us know if you're able to help with any of these.
The ESL Camp this summer has given us a great platform to meet and serve these children who are relatively new to our country. Our mission focus from now on would be on building and deepening relationships with the children and their families and sharing Christ with them as the Lord leads. Here are some of the ongoing ministry opportunities that we're prayerfully planning:
- Provide tutoring and/or mentoring help for the campers after school and/or on weekends for two hours. This could be done at their apartment, at school, a nearby library or at the church. We'd be glad to connect you and facilitate things for you.
- Provide tutoring and/or mentoring help for the parent/s/ of the campers in the mornings or evenings at their apartment or at the church.
Enroll the parent/s/ in our church's Thursday morning or evening ESL lasses by providing them with information and transportation as needed. Registration for the Thursday morning ESL will be on August 31st from 9:30-11:30 a.m. in the Parlor. Classes start the following week on September 7th at 9:30. Thursday evening classes will start on September 14 and bus transportation will be provided for those who live in west and central Knoxville.
- Provide transportation for our campers to the monthly "Fun Day" at the Cansler YMCA on August 26, September 23, October 28.
- Participate in our refugee Thanksgiving Celebration on November 11 (more details to come).
- Participate in our refugee Christmas celebration on December 9 or 16 (more details to come).
- Build ongoing friendship with one of our refugee families through hospitality and life coaching.
THANKS FOR REACHING OUT TO THE STRANGERS IN OUR MIDST!!
Almaz Gemechu, Director of Refugee/International Ministry
865-291-5282 . email@example.com