The Cedar Springs Refugee Ministry invites you to show Christ's love and compassion to the growing number of refugees in Knoxville. (read more)
In Matthew 28:19 our Lord Jesus commissions us to go and make disciples of all nations. He also brings the nations to our doorstep giving us opportunities to help fulfill the Great Commission from the comfort of our homes. He is also teaching us from His word in Matthew 25:35 to welcome the stranger.
As members of the Body of Christ here in Knoxville we feel called to reach out and make a lasting impact in the lives of the many unreached people groups that are moving next door to us and becoming our new neighbors. These people wouldn't have had the opportunity whatsoever to hear the Gospel in their life times had God not moved them out of their comfort zones and brought them to us. It's our prayer and sincere desire that we'd follow God who is on His redemptive mission and impact the lives of many nations, tribes and tongues for His Kingdom.
Some moments from the 2016 Summer ESL Camp
KNOXVILLE IS EXPECTING an influx of refugees within the next couple of months. This is a great opportunity for followers of Christ to welcome the stranger in Jesus' name and minister to their physical and spiritual needs to help them move towards successful integration. The following volunteer opportunities are available to individuals, families, and small groups to serve Christ by serving refugees:
- Be a part of the welcoming team at the airport
- Help furnish apartments for arriving refugees
- Provide a warm and culturally appropriate meal to the refugees on the day of their arrival
- Buy groceries for the refugees
- Provide transportation to their important appointments including: Social Security office, Cherokee Health Systems, Dept. of Human Services
- Be a tutor and/or mentor to refugee children and/or adults
- Visit refugees from time to time
If you have a desire to serve in any capacity or have questions, please contact:
Almaz Gemechu, Director of Refugee/International Ministries (firstname.lastname@example.org or 865.291.5282) or Alison Fleetwood, Home Missions Administrator (email@example.com or 865.291.5261)