Stephen Ministry Workshop
Cedar Springs is hosting a half-day workshop at the Watershed to introduce Stephen Ministry to our church and community. You are invited! We will have 3 sessions:
- Session 1: Ministering to Those Experiencing Grief
- Session 2: An Introduction to Stephen Ministry
- Session 3: How to Care in a Distinctively Christian Way
Saturday, October 6, 2018
9:00 A.M.–1:00 P.M. (Check-in and on-site registration begin at 8:00 A.M.)
The event is free to Cedar Springs members and attendees. To register, please email Jane Morrow at email@example.com or call (865) 291-5214.
What Is Stephen Ministry?
Stephen Ministry is a lay care ministry in which trained congregation members—called Stephen Ministers—provide one-to-one Christ-centered care to people who are hurting or going through tough times.
How Stephen Ministry Works
Care Givers – Stephen Ministers
A Stephen Minister usually provides care to one person at a time, meeting with that person once a week for about an hour.
A Stephen Minister is:
- a child of God who walks beside a hurting person;
- a caring Christian who really listens;
- a congregational member who has received intensive training in providing Christian care;
- a trustworthy confidant who will keep everything you say - and even your identity - confidential;
- and someone who will faithfully meet with you weekly.
A Stephen Minister is NOT…
- a counselor or therapist;
- a problem-solver;
- someone who runs errands or helps with chores;
- or a casual visitor.
Care receivers are people—congregation members and others in the community—who receive care from a Stephen Minister. These are people struggling through a difficult time in life—experiencing grief, divorce, job loss, chronic or terminal illness, or some other life crisis.
Some important guidelines for this caring relationship protect both the care receiver and the Stephen Minister:
- The relationship between a care receiver and a Stephen Minister is confidential.
- Men are matched with men; women with women.
- When a care receiver’s needs exceed what a Stephen Minister can provide, a referral is made to an appropriate resource.
CEDAR SPRINGS CARE COORDINATORS AND LEADERSHIP TEAM
LEADERSHIP TEAM CONTACT INFORMATION
Howard C. Filston, M.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
Kay Stoutt Filston SandraStoutt05@att.net
Jan Garman email@example.com
Alissa Sayers firstname.lastname@example.org
Robin Lefler email@example.com
Brad Richardson firstname.lastname@example.org
Suzanne Stelling email@example.com
Dr. Leonard Hines firstname.lastname@example.org
Alan Guy email@example.com
Linda Guy firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply to Become a Stephen Minister
If you are considering becoming a Stephen Minister, the next training class will be offered in January 2019.
or download the application, fill out and return to the church.